Thursday, August 13, 2009

Book Haul!


It wouldn't be a WorldCon without a haul of books! Here's what I've got:

  • 2 volumes of Clark Ashton Smith, who Ross Lockhart of Nightshade Press described as "the poet" of the Lovecraft era. Ross is a very good salesman, and also a generally awesome person. The Locus & Nightshade tables adjoined, so we got to talk a bit. Just listening to him made me homesick for California. =)
  • Also from Nightshade, The Lees of Laughter's End by Steven Erikson. This one Ross sold to Curtis.
  • Tachyon press was nice enough to carry a large selection of non-fiction titles, even those they didn't publish. From them I bought Hope-in-the-Mist by Michael Swanwick and Canary Fever by John Clute.
  • Direct from the author(s), and thus signed very nicely, I got Farah Mendlesohn's The Inter-Galactic Playground and Farah & Edward James' A Short History of Fantasy.
  • NESFA Press was at the Con, so I picked up Heinlein in Dimension by Alexei Panshin, an older book and one of the early works of 'serious' sf criticism.
That's actually it for the Con; a pretty light haul for me. Honestly I would have bought more (especially Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl--but it sold out!), but I almost never had time to really go through the tables at the dealer's room. Con-going has changed a lot for me since 2006--less free time but higher quality time overall.

But there another delight was delivered when I got home: an ARC of Daryl Gregory's second novel, The Devil's Alphabet (which I will always think of as Oh You Pretty Things--apparently his favored title). I'm definitely looking forward to diving into that one.

No comments: