Monday, August 30, 2010

An Announcement, Plus Fun Stuff

As I slowly get my post-school life back on track, here are some random bits:

On the latest SFSignal podcast, I was part of a round-table about Sword & Sorcery and its sf equivalents. I think that Jay Garmon made an excellent point about the efficacy of violence, and how appealing it is in bad economic times. After the round-table I was also the interviewee of the week. That was a lot of fun--I hadn't been interviewed by anyone since high school. In the podcast I was able to announce the new project I'm undertaking: a book about Greg Egan. It will be due in March 2012, and should cover all his works, his themes, and give some background on the science behind his stories. All in ~70,000 words! I'll have my work cut out for me, but I'm really looking forward to starting in on the research.

After that 'important stuff,' I also wanted to show y'all some neat videos that have been sitting in my inbox for too long. Two of these come from my friend and fencing afficianado, John Trojanowski, and the NASA specific one comes from my Pyro co-workers.

Awesome compilation of cinematic sword fights, showing the common elements:



Jane Austen's "Fight Club"



Neil deGrasse Tyson as one of NASA's best cheerleaders:

3 comments:

Duncan Lawie said...

Why is it that now, for the first time ever, I want to see the Fight Club with Brad Pitt in it?

Duncan Lawie said...

PS - it was fun listening to the interview. Good luck with the Eganverse! I look forward to seeing the tree which grows from your Axiomatic/Dark Integers piece.

And if I can offer a couple of narrative non-fictions for you - alright, history ...

Liberators by Robert Harvey (subtitle Latin America's struggle for Independence 1810 - 1830)

The Coldest March by Susan Solomon (the most scientifically interesting retelling of the Captain Scott story in recent decades, which I reviewed on Slashdot when it came out).

Karen Burnham said...

Duncan- Thanks! I think that all my best critical work so far has been about Egan, so I've got high hopes for the project.

Thanks for the non-fiction recommendations! I'm a huge sucker for Arctic/Mountaineering exploration narratives, so I'll definitely add "Coldest March" to my list.